Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Be A Pebble!

There has been a keyboard-roots movement afinger (sorry, very little sleep last night) for a Thank You Bonnie day to show appreciation to Bonnie over at My Bottom Smarts. If you don't know about Bonnie or her blog (is that possible?) take a few minutes to check it out. You'll find a gigantic list of spanking sites colored coded by subject plus a weekly brunch discussion on topics of interest to spanking enthusiasts.

Like many others I was stumbling along with a handful of page views per day until Bonnie put me on her site and then things really took off. Not only did I get more page views, but those page views were all associated with people, many of whom are now my colleagues and friends. I wonder if that would have happened otherwise?

My point, in addition to joining the Thank Bonnie Day Party, is to remind myself (and maybe you) that we can each help someone else in a small way that may blossom into something much bigger and unexpected. We may never know the affect that our small kindness has on someone else. I like to think about it like dropping a pebble in a pond and watching the ripples spread.

Years ago, my mother faced serious surgery and had a few weeks to wait for the surgery to actually happen. As you can imagine, it was stressful. It was all she thought about and talked about. It was all everyone around her thought about and talked about. One day we went shopping and the sales clerk and my mother had a lengthy chat while Mom paid for her purchases. When it was over, my mother grinned at me. "She doesn't know!" Mom said. That unknown saleswoman in a now defunct department store had no idea that her short conversation about the color of a blouse had probably been the first time in days that my mother wasn't focusing on that surgery looming in the future.

P.S. The surgery was serious, but she's fine now.

So, what is one small thing you can do today, whether online or in person, that will start a ripple affect in someone else's life? Again, I'm not talking about donating a kidney, but just being kind.


4 comments:

  1. I call it paying it forward and I try to do it all the time. As you say, you never know when the one little thing you may or may not do can affect the lives of others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that sentiment Celeste. I say you never know how you can change someones outlook for the better. Or how many have said something changed my outlook on life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Celeste,

    That's a fantastic message and one in which I believe. We can make a difference in the world, especially when lots of us each do something small.

    Thank you!

    Hugs,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are always the model of kindness, dear friend!! Thanks for leading by example.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting feedback. Thank you for taking the time to comment!