Friday, December 5, 2014

Spanking Stories Book Club: The Right Treatment by Tara Finnegan

Casey McKay is here today to lead the discussion of The Right Treatment by Tara Finnegan from What the Doctor Ordered, a collection of medical BDSM books. Ooooo so naughty. 


Thank you so much for hosting us these few weeks, Celeste! I had so much fun being a part of the box set What the Doctor Ordered with my fellow authors and now I am having a ton of fun discussing each book!

If you are stopping by for Spanking Stories Book Club I hope you had time to read Tara Finnegan's awesome book from the box set, it's called The Right Treatment:

Things have changed quite a bit in the years since Aoife Devine last saw Matt McDaid, her childhood crush. Working as a doctor on the emergency ward has hardened him, and parties, alcohol, and one-night-stands have taken their toll on her. But when a bad batch of ecstasy sends Aoife to the hospital, she finds herself with no choice but to accept Matt’s help, even if that means obeying his rules. Matt proves fully prepared to back up his orders with a sound spanking, and Aoife soon learns that cooperating with his treatments is not optional, no matter how humiliating they may be for her.

If you've not had a chance to read it yet, you can still join in the conversation! But I hope you also take the time to read this hot and sexy book!

1. In the story Matt and Aoife know each other from years prior. Do you think this element of the story made the characters interact differently with each other than if Matt had just met Aoife for the first time in the hospital?
In general, does it add a layer to any story to have the characters already have a common history, or some sort of relationship, rather than just meeting and getting to know each other at the start of the story?

2. Matt ends up delivering a 'tough love' approach to Aoife's addiction and at times ends up seeming cold when he delivers some of her punishments. Personally, I liked that Matt was a flawed character and we learn what motivates his treatment of Aoife. But do you find that she forgave him too quickly? Or accepted his treatment too willingly?
What is your take on a hero with a flaw? Or would you rather they be the embodiment of perfection?

3. As in many of Tara Finnegan's books The Right Treatment touches on some heavy topics and dramatic scenes. In my opinion she balances this out with some lighthearted moments and quick witted humor.
What's your opinion on the presence of drama in a romance novel? Do you think it has a place or would you rather a simpler storyline?

Thank you again, Celeste and I look forward to discussing this book with everyone!



4 comments:

  1. Hi guys. I've read all of the stories (obviously!!) so here I am!

    1. I always like it when there's some sort of connection especially in contemporary romance. I don't know why but I just do.

    2.I don't think it's possible to have a hero without flaws although I am more than happy to give him the benefit of the doubt in fiction. I do think he was harsh but I like that and she needed that IMO.

    3. I like both. I find as I've been reading more and more spanking romance, what I look for has changed. I need a good story to hold up the walls so to speak around the spankings and erotic parts. I want both and I want them both well done and Tara does that.

    Thanks ladies!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that the harsh treatment did seem like something Aoife needed. But I found myself wanting to yell at him a few times to be a little nicer, I think it added an interesting element to the story though.

      Delete
  2. Happy Friday!

    1. I like stories where the characters already know each other because even if they didn't have a relationship when they first knew one another, the story usually has a "second chance" feel to it that I like. Plus sometimes having known one another can add an extra layer of tension to the story, depending on their past interactions.

    2. I didn't find his punishments too harsh because I think deep down that's what Aoife really needed. Plus I tend to like stories with harsher punishments anyway, so there's that. :)

    3. I like both too. Sometimes I'm in the mood for a very light and simple storyline (usually if I just want to read something really quick before bedtime) but other times I'm in the mood for something heavier, but even when I'm reading something heavier I still want to see some lighter moments and some humor. I think Tara did a great job balancing the more serious parts of the book out with some lighter moments.

    Thanks for hosting WTDO, Celeste!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I fell like it's easier to get to the good parts quicker if the characters have had a prior relationship. You don't need to worry about establishing trust or explaining way they are all of a sudden falling into bed together after knowing each other a few hours. That's on the author side of things, on the reader's side I also appreciate a prior connection, it gives the characters a bit of a more real feel to have a history together.

      Delete

I love getting feedback. Thank you for taking the time to comment!