Sunday, February 17, 2013

Giving Something Up For Lent

The season of Lent began last week with Ash Wednesday. Here's part of what Wikipedia says about Lent: 

The traditional purpose of Lent is the preparation of the believer—through prayer, penance, repentance, almsgiving, and self-denial. Its institutional purpose is heightened in the annual commemoration of Holy Week, marking the death and resurrection of Jesus, which recalls the events of the the Bible when Jesus is crucified on Good Friday, which then culminates in the celebration on Easter Sunday of the Resurrection of Jesus Christ.
During Lent, many of the faithful commit to fasting or giving up certain types of luxuries as a form of penitence.

I'm going to enter into a modified fast. Not food (though that wouldn't be a bad idea) but from the internet. 

Shocking, I know. I still intend to be on line at least a couple of times each day but I plan to be more focused in the time I use. 

Since I began this "fast" on Wednesday I have read four books, spent time with friends, cleared my mind a bit and renewed my relationship with God. 

What does this mean to you? Probably not a whole lot. I'll still post on my blog and respond to emails, though maybe not immediately like I usually do. I probably won't spend as much time visiting other blogs and I hope that none of you take my diminished visits and comments personally. 

I'll keep you posted on my progress. 

9 comments:

  1. I think that is wonderful. I actually was contemplating what would bring me to a place of spiritual growth. I always wonder what is the best thing to do for lent, give-up or do acts of kindness etc. Really it is all good. I think it is how it brings us closer to our purpose.
    Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think of this as giving something up, like a penance, but as trimming away something that has a tendency to get in the way of other important things in my life.

      Delete
  2. I think it is a fantastic idea. Really great! Good for you.

    I don't formally give things up for Lent, but I may decide to give up the drama...and worrying about drama. To let things go and to stop trying to please people so much.

    And to stop swearing when your log in stuff tries to tell me that my open ID won't work. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Good idea to give up drama. I am hoping that by focusing my attention elsewhere, the drama will naturally diminish. I guess I'll find out.

      Delete
  3. Amazing how much one can get done when one isn't on the internet! And contemplation is always a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It probably sounds silly as I am a newbie here but your fast does mean something to me, Celeste. Some of the best people I have ever met – the warmest, kindest, most inspirational, least judgmental – have been those I have met through blogging, and my intuition (my heart, really), and of course posts like this one, tell me that you are one of those people and, I hope, a friend to be.

    I’m not religious myself but I can understand the concept of faith and can imagine the comfort that it brings people. And it makes me feel glad that you have got to renew your spiritual connection. Your post is inspirational, even to a non-believer like me: it reminds me that it is important to make time for things outside the hustle and bustle of daily life; the 'little' things that I sometimes forget or take for granted. It reminds me that the world won’t end if I devote some time and attention to my own inner life and make more time for friends and loved ones.

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Penelope, I'm so glad that I've inspired you a bit. It wasn't my intention, but it's a happy by product. Thanks so much for stopping by to comment.

      Delete

I love getting feedback. Thank you for taking the time to comment!