Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Writing About Sex...or Not

Christina has a lovely post about the upcoming release of Coming To Terms. Among the kind compliments she gives me is one about how hot my books are. Thanks, Christina!

So, what's the problem? Well, in Reconnecting, my contribution to Coming to Terms, there isn't any sex. I refer to it a couple times like "after a night of hot hotel sex" but the story itself doesn't include any hot sexy scenes.

Reconnecting is  new story about Reece and Daisy, the couple from Underwear Probation and if you read that book, you know it was pretty sexy. When I started this new story, I assumed it would be as sexy if not more so, but then when I got into the story, it just didn't seem to fit.

What? How can sex not fit in a spanking story? Good question. But, in this story Daisy and Reece had some major conflict going on and it just seemed odd to me for them to have unresolved conflict but then rock the sheets with mind boggling sex.

Sex is an important party of a relationship and it can be used for many purposes, but in this story, I just didn't want it to be front and center.

I'm anxious for all of you to read it and let me know what you think of the passing references to sex vs. detailed descriptions.

8 comments:

  1. Now I really want to read your story. This point of view is one that I have always thought about when reading steamy romance books. Personally, make up sex is not the fix all to everything. And sex doesn't always happen when the couple is in a disagreement. I use to wonder, what the heck - why can't we be like this couple in the book? But truth be told, I would like to read a book where a steamy couple actually deal with a conflict and how they work it out. Good job for doing something different

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Blondie! I've read some discussions about fantasy vs. reality and how it can raise some unrealistic expectations. On the other hand, don't we read to escape? But, in this case, sex didn't seem right for the story.

      I'll be curious to find out what you think. Just a couple more weeks until the book is available!

      Delete
  2. A story can be "hot" without having a descriptive sex scene. The heat can come from the relationship of the characters and especially from the dominant HoH-y behaviour of the male (since I prefer M/F stories the HoH is always the male). In fact, I often skip over the sex scene unless something catches my eye. Sex - been there, done that, love that.

    Is it time yet for the pre-release? I hate waiting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that some of the sexiest scenes are when we use our imaginations. I know they have great sex. I enjoy the story because of the characters, relationship, power play, and the great story line. We all love great sex..but...I agree with Christina, sometimes I may skip when the scene gets toooooooo lllllooooonnnggg! LOL. Now- please don't attack me about skipping!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What? you skip? Just kidding. I actually do too, sometimes. But I don't skip writing them anymore. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well...everyone knows my opinion. ;)

    ReplyDelete

I love getting feedback. Thank you for taking the time to comment!