Friday, July 5, 2013

Spanking Stories Book Club---Days WITH You By Jade Cary

Welcome back! I'm a little confused about what day it is, but if it's Friday, that means it's time to get our geek on (I'm stealing that phrase from a commenter) and talk about spanking stories.



We're still working out way through Coming To Terms and this week we're talking about Jade Cary's contribution, "Days With You". (My apologies for calling it Days Without You earlier. What a major screw up.)

"Days with You" by Jade CaryAll of your favorites from The Point of it All (including Val, in flashbacks) return in this heartrending short story about love and loss, and about keeping dreams, and hope, alive.

Diana Kenyon-Rios arrives in Chile for the Christmas holidays--her first after losing her husband, Val. As she prepares to celebrate the holidays in Val's home country, she reminisces on her short but wonderful relationship and marriage to Val, and how she tried to come to terms with his...way. Not exactly a DD lifestyle in the truest sense, but let's face it--Val liked to spank an ass. Why? And why did Diana allow it? Did she benefit? Did he? Did it define their life, or did it take up a small, but not insignificant part of their relationship?

And as Diana attempts to reconcile his death with the life she must lead now, something keeps her from fully accepting that he is gone.  She feels him in her bones so deeply, it is as if he is still alive Through intimate talks with friends and reminiscences, she finds a way to hold on to the greatest love she will ever know.


But will her dreams be enough?


Wow. How does Jade Cary create a story where one of the main characters is dead and still have me totally in love with him? Plus, now I want to visit Chile. What have you done to me Jade?

 
This story was so poignant and vivid, I felt like I was right there drinking the Chilean wine and walking on the beach.
 
What about everyone else? What did you think of this story? If you read The Point of it All, how did you feel about this continuation of that story?


14 comments:

  1. Jade wrote a man who is relived in memory, yet it was so very real and visceral. I loved the scenes from Diana and Val's their life together -- it was as if I knew this couple.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Cara. It all felt so close and intimate.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for including Days With You in your book club, Celeste. I found, after finishing The Point of it All, that I really missed these two, but now I had a dilemma, didn't I? I could write a sequel filled with flashbacks of Val and Diana's time together, but that felt wrong. Coming To Terms gave me an opportunity to test out a comeback for Val Rios, and it was a story I really enjoyed writing. By the way, Zapillar, Chile is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very clever, Jade. I agree that a full length story with flashbacks might be too much, but Days With You was the perfect segue to another story about these two.

      Delete
  3. Oh... this might have just pushed a few books out of the way to get to the top! Thanks Celeste for sharing glimpses of all the wonderful stories in this book!

    P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. Thanks for stopping by, Penny!

      Delete
  4. Celeste I believe I said I love getting my nerd on in book club, but we can get our geek on too, LOL.
    So again, this was another short story I had no clue the characters were from a book. But as I was reading Days With You I kept thinking "This is such an involved plot for a little short story." I eventually caught on and looked up the book, I am actually about halfway through The Point of it All and is it possible to be in love with a fictitious character? I think Val Rios is the sexiest man ever (don't tell my husband), but I was so in love with the flashbacks of him in the short story that I needed to read the book. I loved how in love Diana was with him in Days With You and it's kind of fun now that I am reading about the beginning of their relationship.
    Loved the short story, loving the book, and hoping there is a continuation after Days With You? fingers crossed :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was you Casey, who coined the phrase. So funny!

      I agree about hoping for a sequel. I think that has to be in the works, right Jade?

      Delete
    2. A sequel is indeed in the works. Days With You was meant to be the prequel to the sequel. :)

      Delete
  5. Reading this short story made me say, "I want more from Jade Cary!" The first thing that popped up on Amazon was Bella Rosa, and it sounded so wonderful, I had to get it. I knew, based on Days With You, that it would be splendid, and I wasn't wrong.

    Good work, Jade. Your short story did what is was supposed to do -- cause me to buy one at the full price! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How great! My TBR list is getting ridiculously long.

      Delete
    2. Oh, I'm glad, Patricia! I was wondering how many had not read TPOIA but were willing to give it a try after reading Days With You. I'd love to say it was my plan all along, but... :)

      Delete
  6. I know I have said it before but I truly loved The Point of It All. I was thrilled with 'Days With You.' I want more of course...but I was still happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Minelle! It was quite the teaser of a story, wasn't it?

      Delete

I love getting feedback. Thank you for taking the time to comment!