Wednesday, January 22, 2014

We Can Do It! Rollin Hand Shares His Productivity Tips

Please welcome Rollin Hand who is here today to tell us how he gets it done!


Celeste Jones: Are you a full time or part time writer?

Rollin Hand: Part time. I still work a full time job as an IP attorney in private practice.[I think IP is intellectual property.]

Celeste Jones:  What other responsibilities do you have to juggle along with writing? Children? Aging parents? Exercise? A disturbing number of pets? Critiquing for other writers?

Rollin Hand:  I’m a musician and in several groups, so I have to work that in. My exercise regimen is important too. [I didn't know that! What instrument do you play?]

Celeste Jones: Do you have a set schedule for when you write? If so, what is it?

Rollin Hand: No. It’s weekends, early mornings and breaks at work.

Celeste Jones: Do you have particular productivity goals for each day or week or just go for it?

Rollin Hand: Go for it, mostly. But on weekends I set aside time specifically.

Celeste Jones: What is a typical day (if such a thing exists) like for you?

Rollin Hand: I get up early and check mail etc., then since I’m self employed, I go to my office on my schedule, usually 9-6, come home, exercise or go to a rehearsal, eat, read a bit and go to bed.

Celeste Jones:  Do you work on more than one manuscript at a time?

Rollin Hand:  Yes. I’ll be editing backlist stuff for publication, writing new stories and working on a novel all at the same time. My motto is---if the muse strikes, write.

Celeste Jones: Do you use any special writing programs like Write or Die?

Rollin Hand: no

Celeste Jones: What about promotion? Do you have particular time when you visit blogs or use other social media? How do you monitor your time?

Rollin Hand:  That’s early morning. I check my blog, prepare blog entries, respond to email, comment on other blogs.

Celeste Jones: What about your blog? Do you have a set schedule  or just blog when the mood strikes you?

Rollin Hand:  I really try to update my blog every three days, four max. It’s a successful blog, getting 700-1500 hits a day, so it’s worth it.

Celeste Jones: What tips or pointers do you have to share to help others be more productive?

Rollin Hand:: There’s no magic. Just set aside a set period and do it. Procrastination is not an option.

Celeste Jones: What books are you working on now? What are your goals for 2014?

Rollin Hand:  I want to finish publishing my backlist which will take some editing and rewriting. My most active project is a new novel to be published by Stormy Night, a medieval romance. I’m also writing some F/M short stories for a new collection.

Celeste Jones: Anything else you’d like to share?

Rollin Hand For those of us who work full time it’s difficult. I would love to write full time. But I do have the luxury of being my own boss. Still, work demands come before my writing gig so I have to squeeze it in. The key is, don’t let projects gather dust. Every day do SOMETHING.

 

Me at Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Rollin/e/B009ZJUH50


Me on Facebook: www.facebook.com/Rollin.Hand.58

Upcoming are twin novelettes to be published in a single volume.  First is “Willow Wood Estate”, a mainly F/F bit of spanking erotica about a country estate, its mysterious history, its imperious and beautiful owner, a young female employee, and an odd circle of women who come to visit. Next is “Madeline Smythe” the story of a college girl, her mentor and the man they enlist to help the coed with a dotty aunt who owns a country manor that she runs like a nineteenth century estate. Fans of Downton Abbey will like this one. Mostly M/F.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, Rollin, I learned some interesting things about you. Your comment, "procrastination is not an option" ought to be very author's bumper sticker. (Or wall plaque. I don't put bumper stickers on my car.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like what you said, don't let your work gather dust even if you don't have all the time you want. I dream about being able to write full time, maybe someday.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting feedback. Thank you for taking the time to comment!