Friday, November 22, 2013

Spanking Stories Book Club: Cursed Waters by Casey McKay


Before we get to the festivities, I want to let you know that I am at Normandie Alleman's blog today talking about Lady Katherine's Conundrum. Click here to visit. 

I'm proud to say that this was my first zombie apocalypse story and I enjoyed it. Look at me, moving outside my comfort zone! 

Cursed Waters by Casey McKay

Blurb: Roxy Wilson is going through the motions. She's running her deceased grandmother's psychic readings shop, but she's not a psychic. Hoping to expand and just become a gift shop, she contacts her ex-boyfriend, Trevor Dale. Only she doesn't anticipate the feelings she's still having for him after four years of separation. 
Trevor could never get Roxy out of his system, and now with her so close to him again, he's reluctant to let her go. But a 40 year- old curse involving evil spells and zombies overtaking the small, seaside town of Ocean Pointe may put a stop to any sort of romantic reunion. 
Can Roxy and Trevor break the curse and save their town from zombies? Find out in Cursed Waters! 
Warning: This book contains spankings and anal play between two consenting adults. If you are offended by this subject matter, please do not read this. 


This was a fun read that included zombies. a character named Seaweed, psychics/magic and a woman named Mrs. Grindle. 

As a writer who struggles to come up with names for characters, I tip my hat to Casey McKay for some great character names. 

There were a couple of things that I noted as I read it. First, there's a fun scene at about the 67% mark where Trevor is spanking Roxy and thinks she's crying, but it turns out that she's laughing. This scene is from Trevor's point of view so we see him start to doubt his abilities and admit (to himself) that he's making this up as he goes along. He recovers and orders her to the corner, but this was cute. 

Question---have you ever found yourself laughing at a time when you really shouldn't have? Spanking, sex, church, funerals. Please share your inappropriate behavior! 

I don't want to give away too many spoilers, but at a critical point in the story, Trevor leaves saying he can't stand to watch Roxy endanger herself. When he returns, he apologizes, but Roxy says she's glad he left. She realized that she had to face her duty to try to stop the zombie apocalypse and was willing to do it without him if necessary. 

Part of the problems that had caused Roxy and Trevor to break up four years before (and their continuing issue now) was the fact that Roxy thought Trevor was trying to control her life. This was a sweet and important scene that showed Roxy sort of realizing her own power and that it wasn't a weakness to allow Trevor to be part of her life (again, I'm paraphrasing so my apologies if I don't have the whole thing exactly right). 

Question---do you sometimes think that heroines give in too soon to the hero? Is that realistic? Here the hero didn't force her to comply with his wishes and then even realized he was wrong, despite his desire to protect Roxy. Do we want to read realistic (even w/zombies) or do we want more unrealistic? 

More questions: 

  • Roxy and Trevor set out to fight zombies with an assortment of items from Roxy's apartment. If you had to fight zombies, what would you take from your house to use as a weapon? 

  • Psychics and curses---are you a believer or a skeptic? 

  • Which is a better character name: Seaweed or Mrs. Grindle? 




18 comments:

  1. I'm going backwards on the questions! I loved this book - it was SO SO good!! Definitely Seaweed for a name. That was awesome. I am so serious always so I appreciate this.

    Heroine's giving in too soon - I think it depends on the situation. I like a feisty heroine - love a scene where she has to be overpowered. Really, what's yummier? But I also like a heroine who can give herself over and submit. That is also quite yummy. Just depends on the moment.

    Inappropriate laughter or general moments of inappropriate behavior...Once I was at a work function with my husband and a group of 10 of his colleagues and their new boss. The companies had just merged and there was (just a hint...) of tension in the group. Well, I hate awkward moments so I opened my mouth and said 'so, who's from which side of the fence?' Well, awkward got REALLY awkward then...they all stared at me but the CEO laughed out loud - totally breaking the ice. My husband afterwards told me he likes when I do these awkward things and I had to say I had no idea I did them regularly...apparently, I am always inappropriate. :)

    What would I bring to fight zombies? Well, I liked the pepperoni Roxy brought. She's a practical woman. I'd bring a good water gun and a big stick...

    This was a great book. Very different, well written, fun and funny and sexy sexy sexy. Loved it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Inappropriately awkward--- that is why we're friends :)

      I'm glad you enjoyed the book and agreed with bringing a stick of pepperoni to fight zombies.

      Delete
  2. Celeste, thanks so much for having me and I am happy you broke out of your comfort zone to read my zombie book!

    Laughing at inappropriate moments? I never do that in real life, I wonder where I got the inspiration for that :P

    I think I gave Roxy a lot of real reactions and I did a lot of "what would I do if this were happening?" Personally, I like it when a heroine is forced to comply most of the time. But it just didn't seem to work with these characters, and I was hoping I didn't turn readers off with that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great questions, Celeste. I wish I'd read the book, but it's still on my TBR list. I have not yet read a zombie spanking book, but I'm looking forward to it.

    I won't give too many details because the actual trigger was truly inappropriate, but my aunt and I suffered a laughing fit when we were picking out an urn for my grandmother's ashes.

    What happens too quickly for me is when heroines too readily admit fault and feel guilty when being punished. Surely there should be more resentment, especially when they think the hero is being unfair.

    Of course, my weapon of choice to fight zombies would be a shotgun. But if I couldn't use that, I'd probably use a shovel--something with a long handle so I didn't have to get too close.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband and I had to excuse ourselves during his grandfather's funeral because we were hysterical laughing. I think anytime emotions run high it's really easy to switch from one extreme to the other.

      I also agree about heroines admitting fault too easily, sometimes it takes me out of the story because it annoys me if she doesn't put up some kind of fight.

      Thanks for coming to book club, I like that Celeste asks questions that you can answer even if you haven''t read the book!

      Delete
  4. Good morning everyone! Thanks for the fun discussion.

    I agree that sometimes high emotions or stress can make the laughter more likely but it also feels good. It really is the best medicine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. First of all I just want to say how much fun this book was. It was my first zombie story too, Celeste, and I didn't know what to expect except I knew it would be peppered throughout with Casey's great humour and I was enchanted.

    Gah, what a question do I ever laugh inappropriately? Inappropriate laughter is always the most infectious and hardest to contain. Especially in a church for some reason. Or when someone is reaIly cross about something and they go off on one of those rants that kill you, and you're trying so hard not to laugh! I love it.

    Do heroines give in too soon in books? Of course they do because if you don't get to a bit of action fairly quickly you'll lose the reader, but in real life sadly you can't always gee the pace up.
    For fighting zombies, I'd bring a mirror, one look at themselves and they'd go crawling back into the earth.
    Last but not least, I loved Mrs Grindle and thought she was really appropriately named, the name evoked this image of a wizened, contrary auld wan, grumbling for the sake of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops, sorry forgot to answer the bit about do I believe in psychics, curses etc. Of course I do. I'm Irish! It's in the blood.

      Delete
    2. Tara---you are so funny and I love your Irish phrases. This was a fun book and sometimes I think humor and playfulness are missing from spanking books, though I can't help but usually add at least a bit to mine.

      Delete
    3. Tara, you always appreciate my humor! I am glad everyone liked Mrs. Grindle's name, I am not even sure how I thought it up.

      Delete
  6. Okay, and now I know what book I'll be spending my Amazon gift card on.

    What would I take from my house? The guns and lots and lots of ammo.

    Do I believe in psychics or curses? Psychics, no. Curses, yes.

    I love the name Mrs. Grindle. You can practically picture the woman that goes along with that name. Having not read the book, I might be picturing her wrong, but I'm looking forward to reading this book and finding out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. Good idea, Maren.

      After you read the book, come back and let us know if Mrs. Grindle lived up to her name.

      Delete
    2. Guns would definitely work on zombies! I hope Mrs. Grindle ends up being all that you imagined :)

      Delete
  7. I haven't gotten a chance to read this book, either, but it sounds great! I do like Seaweed as a name.

    I think the struggle is thrilling to read but dang difficult to write. Yes, I do think sometimes the struggle is over too soon. There's nothing like that battle of wills to bring out the adrenaline (as writer or reader).

    I wouldn't fight zombies with a weapon. I'd grab a chocolate and a book to enjoy my last few minutes of life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good idea on the book and chocolate Ana. That's hardly ever a bad idea. :)

      Delete
    2. Ana, you're a reader, not a fighter? LOL

      Delete
  8. I think my heroines give in too soon sometimes. As I get more spunk, it seems like they're getting more spunk along with me, but I'm a natural submissive, so folding makes sense to me, it just doesn't make for an interesting story!

    I'd smash those zombies with my crystal gem collection. yeah.

    I believe in psychics and to some degree, curses.

    I just laughed until I cried during a Tesla Metamorphosis healing session. It was bizarro and apparently needed- LOL.

    I have this book but haven't had a chance to read it. Can't wait!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting, I think Roxy came out more willful than I meant because I kept thinking what I would do. And most of the time my answer is "I'm not taking this!" LOL.

      Oh, crystal gems, that could work! Thanks, Renee :)

      Delete

I love getting feedback. Thank you for taking the time to comment!