Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Writing Spanking Stories Wednesday: The Idea


Hi everyone and welcome to my new blog series on writing spanking stories.

Disclaimer (remember, I am a lawyer): There are as many different ways to write a story, spanking or otherwise, as there are people who write them. If some of the information I share is helpful to you, then please feel free to use it. And if it doesn’t work for you, that’s fine too. I just want to share a few posts on the process (more or less) that I use for some of my stories.

Writing Spanking Stories: The Idea
Once you start looking for story ideas, it seems like they are everywhere. And they can come from all kinds of sources: a song lyric that sticks in your head, a snippet of conversation that you overhear, something in the news or your own fantasy. The possibilities are endless.

Here are a couple examples.

I bought a spanking magazine and showed the pictures to my spanking mentor and said that I’d expected the women to have smaller butts. She said “A bigger butt can take more of a spanking.” That one comment got me thinking about the advantages of aging and having a butt that wasn’t small.
I thought about how a woman would feel about it (not so great) compared to how her husband might feel about it. And that turned into Mirror, Mirror/You’re Never Too Old for a Spanking. There are links to the two parts in the Free Spanking Stories tab.
Donna’s husband turned her gently to her side so that she could see her rear end in the mirror. Jake ran his right hand slowly over her flanks. “I suppose you think that this is too big, don’t you?”

“Y-yes.” Donna’s voice was a whisper.

“You don’t have any idea how much your rear end turns me on, do you?”

Donna’s eyes grew wide in disbelief. “I can’t believe that my large butt could be a turn on to anyone. Look at it.” She turned so that her backside faced the mirror and she looked at its reflection over her shoulder. “It’s huge.”

“Now you’re exaggerating.” Jake said. He turned her back to face the mirror and whispered in her ear, “Do you honestly think that some skinny little thing would be able to enjoy the spankings that I give you?”

Here’s another example:
A few months ago I read a tweet about a woman who was going to work without underwear because her dom told her to. The idea of going without underwear was so sexy and naughty that it got me thinking and Underwear Probation was born (after a grueling labor, I might add).
           “Tomorrow you will be on underwear probation.”

“What?”

“No underwear.”

“No, Reece, please.”

“You said yourself that if you’d been paying attention, you would have behaved better. I want the feel of your clothes on your bare ass to remind you all day long that I expect you to live up to my expectations of you and to behave like a lady.”

 Sometimes the idea starts with the characters. Other times it starts with an event or a location.

Here’s the important thing about ideas---not all of them are good ones. If you were ever a teenager, you may remember that some of your ideas back then weren’t winners. The same is true with writing, but the odds of you ending up with a mullet or leisure suit are greatly reduced.

How do you know if the idea is a good one? You have to tinker with it a bit.

With my current Work In Progress (WIP) I had an idea that I liked so I opened a new Word document and started a sort of stream of consciousness conversation with myself. It looked something like this:

What if there’s a woman who gets divorced and her husband is ordered to pay for her to get an education so she picks law school because it’s the most expensive but she’s only there to get back at him…ok, I like that idea, but do we want the ex husband to be around? Probably not. And do I want the story to last a whole three years? No.

Ok…what if she gets left an inheritance but in order to get the money, she has to complete a semester of law school. Now we’re getting somewhere.

Now, don’t think that every idea I tinker with turns into a winner. My hard drive is full of bits of stories that just never gelled. I bet some of the other writers out there will say the same thing. But, you can’t know until you try.
Jot down a few different ideas and then see which ones spark your imagination. Which one or two ideas are you still thinking about when you lay down to go to bed or when you wake up and which ones have you forgotten about? That’s a good way to get started.

So…what are some story ideas that you have or if you’ve written stories, where did some of the ideas come from?

Come back next Wednesday for another installment of Writing Spanking Stories Wednesday.  

13 comments:

  1. Great post! I love to see where other writers get their ideas. And I'm the same way - you should see how many partially completed stories are on my computer that I decided I didn't like for one reason or another.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Maybe we could all post one of our "story orphans" and ask for ideas on how to make it work.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for posting this! I save everything in an "outtakes" file. Actually starting a new book from the outtakes of a previous. Fell into the first-time writer's black hole of trying to put too much into one book.

    Love your blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sophie! That's a great point about trying to put too much into one book. Once you've written a bunch of words it's hard to look at them and say "you guys just don't fit", but sometimes you have to.

      Delete
  3. This is a great idea. I love hearing and learning about how to write a good story.

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Minelle! When are you going to be posting another of your stories on your blog?

      Delete
    2. I actually have a new idea....mature new relationship. Mixing some real life things I screwed up on in the past etc...I am hashing.

      Delete
  4. Great post. It's cool to hear how another writers circles around and idea. And I love the idea of a story that includes some reassurance on the appeal of bigger behinds (for personal reasons).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed....for the same reasons.

      So folks---is there a market out there for stories about women with big booties?

      Delete
  5. Great topic, Celeste.

    I got the idea for my Rod and Cane Society domestic discipline series after reading people's blogs about how they had a vanilla life and secret spanko life. I got to thinking, what if it didn't have to be secret? What if they could live it openly? I got the idea of a naive bride who marries a man not realizing he practices domestic discipline and that he belongs to an organization where people were open about their spanking practices. That book was originally called Spanking Melania. I later renamed it Unexpected Consequences. Early in the writing, I realized it had series potential, so I developed the secondary characters with the idea of writing their stories.

    The second book is False Prntenses and I just finished the a draft of "Rod and Cane 3" (title is a secret).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cara. And you reminded me of a great tool for writers---"what if?"

      "what if it didn't have to be secret? What if they could live it openly?"

      Asking "what if..." is a good way to get through writer's block too.

      I think I may have a book by that title. What if I read it? LOL Wait...I just got if off my bookshelf. It's called "What If? Writing Exercises for Fiction Writers" by Anne Bernays and Pamela Painter. I'm going to open it up and see what I find.

      Delete
  6. "What if" is the most powerful tool in the writer's arsenal. I've often viewed a scene in a movie, read a news story, observed a real life situation and when I asked myself that question, a story was born. What if the planet Mongo had been even more barbaric than portrayed in the old 30's serials? Thus "Menace from Mongo" was born. What if there was a revenge, inc type of service marketed to lottery winners? Thus "Retribution" was born. It's looking at something quite ordinary and saying, "let's just change this around a little bit".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed. I'm a bit embarrassed that I didn't include it in my post, but it's getting a good bit of discussion here in the comments. :)

      Delete

I love getting feedback. Thank you for taking the time to comment!