Saturday, June 21, 2014

SpankA2Z U is for...

Unrequited Love

Sometimes when I'm doing these posts, words just pop into my head and so I go with it.

Unrequited Love is love that is one sided.

I am embarrassed to admit that I have been in more than one such relationship...and no I was not the one being worshipped. 

I remember long phone calls with my best friend who was also prone to unrequited relationships. We'd parse every look and word and tell each other "don't worry, soon he'll see how fabulous you are." 

I wish I could go back and smack both of us. Hard. 

Sure, not everyone falls madly in love at the same pace, but to give without anything in return is just foolish. 

And heartbreaking. 

More importantly, why did we think we were so unlovable that we'd beg for scraps and hope that "someday" he'd notice? 

Is this something that is perpetuated by TV and Movies? Or were we just stupid on our own? 

What about you? Have you ever been in an unrequited love relationship? Were you the lover or the lovee? What finally got you to see the reality of the situation? Or did it actually work out for you? 

P.S. My friend and I did eventually find wonderful husbands who love us the way we deserve (and possibly more than we deserve...). 



For love that isn't just one sided, check out these other diligent bloggers. 

11 comments:

  1. I have had both happen to me--I've been on both sides, and if I had to choose, I prefer when I am the one with the unrequited yearning. I found it hard to be on the receiving side of so much emotion when I did not return the feeling. It makes it awkward when that person expresses his feelings, You can't avoid hurting him, and you feel guilty knowing that you're going to hurt him. At least when you care for someone but he doesn't care for you, you are in control of what and how much to share.

    Of course, it is always best when the feelings are mutual!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point about at least being the one in control of what you share if you're the one with the unrequited feelings.

      Delete
  2. I have been on both ends too and have to agree eith Cara.

    Hugs
    Roz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How come I'm the only one who hasn't had someone pining for me? Or maybe they just kept it to themselves?

      Thanks, Roz!

      Delete
  3. I had that happen several times. Sex seemed to be one of those unfortunate triggers for me, being such a huge empath.
    Ugh, if I could go back in time...
    yeah
    :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh the things I'd do differently next time around...I guess one of the good things about getting older is the number of life lessons you get to learn along the way.

      Delete
  4. I've been on both sides and it sucks both ways. Your post did make me giggle though with the hitting hard piece... I think it's something we all go through at some point. A right of passage or something??? I remember one HUGE crush on a guy names Scott in high school. He was a senior and I was a freshman and I had this - wait I should say 'we' had this whole other life in my imagination...Never saw him after HS! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe it is a right of passage. There's also that whole "thank god for unanswered prayers"...what if Scott had noticed you...you might not be where you are today.

      Delete
  5. I've been on both sides too and as Natasha said it sucks both ways. I believe everything for a reason so ....
    A while back I wrote a story about Unrequited Love and posted it on by other site-I do happy endings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you! I'll have to check out your story. :)

      Delete
  6. I have been on both sides too... But I didn't push if it wasn't returned!
    However had some really freaky experiences when it was the other way around!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting feedback. Thank you for taking the time to comment!